By Deputy Carolyn Labey
The year started with gusto with a raft of activities enthusiastically organised by Sue Coutanche and the Admin Team and hosted by various Les Grouvelles Members. It would be easier to list what hasn’t been going on but to give you a flavour of what we have on offer to all paid up Members here goes:-
• Singing with ‘The Warblers’ every fortnight and performing for Island and Parish events;
• Weekly coffee mornings;
• Afternoon Pétanque games;
• Book Club evenings with guest authors;
• Ambles with the added bonus of learning about local history enroute;
• Walking groups;
• Learning or practicing crafts such as knitting and crochet;
• Social Dinners at local establishments;
• and latterly Sue has been booking tickets at the Arts Centre for an early supper and theatre performance.
Our first Main Meeting, where we do the formal stuff like paying subs and form filling, took place in early January in the pleasant surroundings of Holme Grown and where we welcomed our fellow ‘Les G’ Member, Gill Wheeldon as our speaker. She explained her work as Founder of the Bubble Foundation and the support they offer to children all around the world. The evening always includes a few drinks and opportunities to meet new members and to discuss the forthcoming activities programme, organised for the months ahead. We always welcome ideas and suggestions of what members would like to participate in and help set up.
If you wish to become a Member of Les Grouvelles please join our Facebook page or come along to our next Main Meeting on Tuesday, 18th April at 7pm at Holme Grown.
Les Grouvelles Team would like to pay tribute to one of our original Members Daphne Mayne, who died suddenly just before Christmas. Daphne was an avid Gardner, dog lover and extremely talented in needlecraft, she put her skill to making the fantastic cross-stitch piece for Les Grouvelles contingent of the St Helier Women’s March to mark 100 years since women got the vote in Jersey. Daphne was wife of the late JEP photographer, Ron Mayne and Mother to our dedicated Admin Team Member Angela Ryan to whom we offer our sympathies.